Sunday, September 10, 2006

Homework??

How do you get a 15 year old to get his homework done?

How do you get the message across that if it is done ASAP after getting it, you there will be no worries about due dates etc?

It is an age old question, I know. DS1 and DD2 seem to 'get it', DD1 'gets it' some of the time. I feel as though I bang my head against a brick wall............. He gets distracted SO easily. What makes it worse is when DH asks and asks about the h'work to be done (This REALLY frustrates DH........DS not doing his homework) I really find it difficult coping with what goes on especially when DS gets angry and walks away not getting anything done.....................I am hoping he will get himself soeted out one day. Next year he will really need to have stuff done and in on time or he runs the rsik of no Schoool Certificate. I can see another Krakatoa if that happens.

DH took DD1 to Armidale on Friday for thier Open Day. She came home full of information, happier about staying in a fully catered college and seems to be confident and focused even more about Nursing. She only needs to stick her head in her books and study for the next 5 weeks or so. The HSC begins on the 19th October and she has her first exam that day. There is nothing extra we can be doing, the ball is in her court. She has said she hasn't done well in the HSC Trials. I only hope she can study enough to get the UAI she needs for Uni.


Just spoke to my Big Boy. Love chatting to him. J His Fiance's Mum is coming to visit in mid October so we are going down to meet her. really looking forward to that and to seeing M and J again. M was home in the July holidays but we haven't seen J for nearly 12 months. Well, it would be 12 months and a bit more. She came home with M in the July holidays last year. They had a special day on Friday. It was their First Anniversary of being Engaged............I remember when.....it was DH and me. Such a long time ago, now. :-)

We have been haing some great rain over the last week or so. Very heavy at times, too. Fantastic. There are still places that need it badly. Maybe God could turn a couple of more sprinklers on around the place.

Before I toddle off to bed, there is something I would like to mention..........

Organ Donation. On Friday, 1st September, one week after her First Birthday, A Little Princess, Rani Millar died of liver failure before she could have a transplant. PLEASE, talk to your families about organ donation. It can truly be a life saving act. So many people were praying and hoping for a liver to become available for Rani but it was not to be. You can read about Rani's struggle here :- http://www.millar5.blogspot.com It makes for sad reading but the strength and courage of this little girl and her family is truly amazing. There is no justice in the world............to save Rani's life, a child first had to lose thiers.............such a hard thing to deal with.

Well, time for bed. There are a few things I'd like to get done tomorrow.

See you next time. If you read this, I'd love it if you'd leave a message, just to say 'Hello' :-)

2 comments:

CaroleW said...

Hi Jenny! Just popping in to say hello and I enjoyed your blog today!

Sleep well hun!

xxx

Maddy said...

I can understand your frustration with your son, but I think it helps to accept that some kids (and people) work differently and have different attitudes. I let my sons manage their own homework schedule - they know what has to be done and by when. One will do it in advance, one does it at the last minute. If I'm honest, I'm very last minute myself so I think he takes after me! As long as he is getting the work done on time and understands the importance of meeting his deadlines and achieving his certificate, I'd be tempted to give him space to manage it his own way. Less stress for you (and DH) and you might find he performs better. Get the teachers onside and ask them to let you know as soon as he's failing to meet his deadlines, but give him the responsibility of manging his own time and meeting those deadlines. It will be good for him to do this and he can find the way that works for him. Give his clear boundaries to work within then give him space to do that.

I hope you don't take offense to this but sometimes as parents we can cause ourselves more stress by trying too hard to control the details of our children's lives rather than given them a framework within which to work and clear guideline about what's expected of them.

(((( Hugs ))))